The Kidney Stone Chronicles

(Or, Keith and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day)

Actual photo taken inside my kidneys yesterday.

Monday, Jan. 7, 2019. Situation normal when I woke up. Started working on a long document that needed to be edited quickly.

Within 10 minutes of starting, I knew something was wrong. By 9:30 a.m., I knew something was very, very, very, terribly wrong.

Within an hour, armageddon had taken over my insides. I was in as much pain as I’ve ever been in.

This is life with kidney stones.

The pain in my body was so bad that I couldn’t work all day. The stone was apparently trying to work its way out of my body, but taking its own sweet time. It leisurely strolled through my kidneys (I’ll spare you the gory details), whistling on its way, not caring a bit for the screaming, moaning agony it was causing me.

The stone eventually exited the building — sometime around 9 p.m., I believe — but left me a wreck in its wake. I slept about 4 hours during the day yesterday, and about 10 hours last night. That’s amazing; I didn’t think I’d sleep much at all last night, given how much I slept in the day. But I guess my body needed recovery time.

This happens a few times per year to me. It’s mostly due, I strongly suspect, to my lack of water intake. Folks with kidney stones need to drink lots of water. And although I drink much more water than I used to, I still don’t drink nearly enough. It’s hard for me, since I’m almost never thirsty. I’m pretty sure one of my ancestors was a camel.

But I did recently get a new Brita, so I’m hoping that encourages me. I plan on keeping a water bottle near me at all times, and just sipping from it throughout the day.

Doctors say you should drink a minimum of 8 8-ounce glasses of water per day. That seems like an impossible dream to me, but I’ll try to at least get close.

Today’s starting out much better. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to take a drink.

One Comment

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *